02-27-08 It all started.....

At 1:30 AM I took Kidlet #2 to the ER close to our house because he was breathing really heavy while he was sound asleep. I could hear him from my room and it sounded like he was running a marathon in his sleep. I couldn't take it anymore so I packed up both kids with Teddy, blankets, snacks, water, and DS's in tow. They did not see us until 5:30 AM. The doctor diagnosed him with bronchitis, gave him a breathing treatment and sent us home with an inhaler. He got to take the mask home and Kidlet #1 and I told him he looked like a Bionicle with it on. He really liked that :)
Thursday the 28th, he wasn't responding to his inhaler and I was getting ready to make an appointment for him for Friday if it didn't let up that night. Well, he came into my bedroom asking for wipes to clean the toilet and he told me he was peeing blood. Thank goodness he ran out of wipes or I might not have seen it before he flushed.
I called the doctor right away and they got him in an hour later. From there the sent us to LGCH to the peds ER. It was sort of rushed because I had to call the school to get Kidlet #1 and the neighbor where I dropped off Kidlet #1 before driving an hour to LGCH. Daddy told me in that time that he had gotten a flight home and would be home a day early. While we were still in the ER Daddy got there to see baby.
After Daddy got there they moved us upstairs saying he was being admitted because he was retaining water (he had gained 5 pounds since the 4th when he was diagnosed with Strep) and his blood pressure was way too high, not to mention the Coca Cola colored urine.
He was isolated the first day and a half because he had Strep once again, so I brought him some legos from the toy closet to keep him busy. The volunteers even brought in coloring books and paint for him to play with while in isolation. They even brought in movies for us to watch.
The second day was Leap Day and DQ was kind enough to supply soft serve, sprinkles, chocolate sauce, strawberry sauce, and whipped cream for all of the Peds Unit. I went into the lounge where it was at and got us a couple since Kidlet still wasn't allowed out of him room.
I had to take pictures of every creation because it was the "blue print" in case it fell apart and he could rebuild it.
Daddy's work sent Kidlet his wonderful basket of cookies. Too bad he was only able to eat a couple since the doctor placed him on a low sodium diet.
Here is the sofa I slept on every night except Thursday night when Daddy stayed for me so I could get some sleep (well so he thought). I was still getting over Strep myself. Here you have Zuka, Teddy and the new Froggy Uncle R gave him when he came out to visit on Saturday. By then Kidlet was off of isolation and able to go play in the Play Room. Daddy brought J for a visit on Saturday too and brought new clothes and our kids movie binder for the times when the Play Room was busy or closed.
Here he is creating again while kickin' it with what he called his Gingerbread socks, LOL!
This is the Tri-Force Tower
For some reason he wanted me to take a picture of his big puchy, LOL!
He really loved those Golden Legos. I guess it was to celebrate Legos 50th Anniversary. By Sunday we were out of clothes and I hadn't yet learned there was a washer and dryer for our use. That day I got to go home and shower and get new clothes for us. I took home a bunch of things because we were supposed to go home that day. Yeah well we now know that didn't happen!!! So I had to have Daddy bring more clothes Monday night before he left again for NC the next morning.

The reason we didn't get to go home on Sunday was because thanks to the BP meds, Kidlet's potassium went up and they had to start monitoring his heart. This was the only time it really scared me especially with all the new wires. Then when he was actually feeling better despite the potassium it was difficult to find things for him to do since he was stuck in the room again. With as many times as he got "poked" he was still an amazing patient. Of course I'll never be able to sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" again with out thinking how many times we had to sing it together to keep his mind off of them poking him again and again.
We had to order a child's BP cuff so I could monitor Kidlet's BP at home. After I learned how to use it he wanted to practice too! So we practiced on Teddy.
With tons of cabin fever and bored to death of the play room, I had brought my jewelry making things to keep me entertained. On the last day, which we weren't sure if it was the last day, Kidlet had music group. Volunteers come in with instruments of all kids and the kids get to play along with them. At first Kidlet stayed at the table with me where I was making a bracelet. From there he got to play little maraca eggs. After that the group passed out the bigger instruments. I took Kidlet closer and he got the bongos. At first he didn't want to play them, but sitting on my lap he tried them out and found he liked them :) I managed to get him to sit alone and I ran to the room to get the camera.
He also got to play with the Rain Stick and here one of the volunteers is helping him play this xylophone thingy.

After all of this excitement Kidlet got to go to the Teen Lounge where HS students came in to make a craft with the kids. In this time I saw his doctor who wanted to see both of us. Crossing my fingers that we got to go home I went to get Kidlet from the activity. After checking Kidlet, the doctor said, "Well you can stay for another couple of days...." because Kidlet's potassium was still .5 too high, but Kidlet piped up and said, "No, we want to go home!" and with that the doctor released us :) Of course that was at 5 and we didn't leave the hospital until 8:30PM.


No comments: